In this economic environment, the ability to adapt to change is crucial. Adaptation requires leadership. And, companies struggle to find leaders who can drive them through periods of transformation.
Many employees get thrust into supervisory and managerial positions with little training. Nothing can help a team succeed like a good manager.
If you want to be a manager, you must nurture and develop qualities of courageousness, decisiveness, trustworthiness and self-confidence. Management also needs focus and skills. To be a successful manager, one has to realize the importance of management skills.
You must strive to:
- Listen in the moment to customers and workers.
- Be visible to your team. Through this, they will recognize you as part of the group.
- Commit yourself to learning. Attend management seminars. Join trade associations. Read publications and watch movies. These tools are great sources of management in action.
- Find a mentor.
- Model high moral standards.
- Inspire respect and loyalty.
- Work hard.
- Get people to work together. Know how to delegate responsibilities to qualified people.
- Reward appropriate behaviors and results.
By developing the above skills builds a solid foundation for success.