With such a wide range of business activities that multinational companies engage in, management must effectively and cost-efficiently communicate strategic information to all constituents.
A diversified business organization such as Asian multinational companies would profit from a communication strategy that would link its management with its constituents.
In general, Asian businesses operate under the rubric that corporations exist to be profitable and that success, not an emphasis on social policy, is the important factor in daily operations.
Image and Identity are two very important aspects of a company or organization. With knowledge of how the company is seen by its constituents, the company will try not to create hostility with a particular group. Identity on the other hand promotes some kind of identification.
A sound communication strategy depends on thinking carefully about the organization, constituents and messages.
Asian businesses’ communication flow can be classified into two: Downward Communication and Lateral Communication.
Downward communication in the company is practiced in the following forms:
* instructions/ directions concerning job performance
* information about organizational procedures and practices
* feedback to the subordinates concerning job performance
* information to assist in the coordination of work tasks
Lateral Communication on the other hand, is practiced between employees who are on the same level, especially when employees must coordinate their activities in order to accomplish a goal.
With the above information in mind, Asian multinational companies must try to practice the following:
- Establish a corporate culture of effective two-way communication so that staff is well informed about issues that affect them as employees and gain a greater understanding of corporate and service priorities and activities.
- There should be a clearer understanding of the company’s culture, and, how much of it that should be strengthened or discarded.
- Human resources should be able to attract the best and the brightest.
- Build an employee’s profile.